Contributor’s Note: This is a British recipe with original measurements in brackets.
- 4 large Brambly apples
- 4 cloves
- 2 tablespoons (2 dessertspoons) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons (2 dessertspoons) of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (1 dessertspoon) of roasted flaked almonds
Preheat oven to 350F degrees (180C degrees or gas mark 4).
Peel and core the apples and par boil with cloves and two dessertspoons of sugar. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
For the topping—
In a bowl, place the flour, butter, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar.
With cold fingers, rub ingredients together until they resemble breadcrumbs.
Place the cooled apples into an ovenproof dish and spoon on the crumble and sprinkle almonds on top. Place in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked and golden.
Serve with homemade custard, ice cream or freshly whipped cream.