Pumpkin Spice Bread
Photo by Beckmann’s Old World Bakery
- 1 can of pumpkin puree for 1 pie, or equivalent of homemade puree
- ½ cup vegetable oil (something light)
- 2 medium size eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup white sugar (fine grain like caster sugar)
- 1-½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla
- ¼ -½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
Lightly oil one nonstick loaf tin.
Combine all ingredients together, including pumpkin, at the same time and fold together. No need to separate wet and dry. Just put everything in at once. Mix well but do not over-mix.
Pour into prepared bread tin and put into the heated oven. Bake for about 45-50 minutes then test. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Leave in tin for about 15 minutes to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack to complete cooling. On the rack, turn the loaf on its side to prevent collapsing.
Store in large Zip-Lock style pouch to keep moist and fresh longer.
Contributor’s Note: This recipe works well as cupcakes, using a prepared or homemade vanilla frosting if desired.