Rich, Thick and Chocolate
- 1 package (18.5 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup + ½ cup evaporated milk, divided as listed
- ½ cup melted butter
- 60 vanilla caramels unwrapped (one 14 oz package)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish and line with wax paper and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, 1/3 cup evaporated milk and melted butter.
Press half of the batter into the bottom of a greased baking dish. Bake in a preheated oven for 8 minutes.
In the microwave, melt caramels with remaining ½ cup evaporated milk. When caramel mixture is well mixed, pour over baked layer. Cover with chocolate chips and optional walnuts. Chill for about an hour or until the caramel is hard.
Press the remaining batter on top of morsels. Return to oven and bake 28 minutes, or less for gooier brownies.
Cool before cutting.