Photo by Jo Naylor
- ¾ cup soft shortening (part butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or lemon (I prefer the vanilla)
- 2-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
Using an electric mixer, cream together eggs, sugar, shortening, and vanilla. Slowly add flour, salt and baking powder until a smooth dough forms. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Lightly dust a work surface with powdered sugar and roll out the chilled dough. Use your choice of cutters for the cookies, rerolling the dough occasionally to get more cookies until the dough is all used.
Bake in preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden brown.
- 1-½ cups confectioner’s (aka: icing or powdered) sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla
- festive food colorings, if desired
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl with a fork, adding food coloring if desired. Ice cooled cookies and let set before serving.